About Murder She Wrote
Murder, She Wrote (MSW) is an American crime drama series and one of the most iconic shows of its time – of all time, in fact! (Yes, I’m unashamedly biased). The series ran from 1984, to 1996 and held the title as THE longest running crime series before being overtaken by CSI: Crime Scene Investigation in 2013.
The great Dame Angela Brigid Lansbury DBE, stars as Jessica Beatrice (aka JB) Fletcher, an enthusiastic (or nosy and intrusive – subject to interpretation) amateur sleuth and successful author of mystery novels. Jessica was once a local high school English teacher in Cabot Cove, Maine. When we first meet her, it appears that she’s since retired from teaching and has been recently widowed, taking to writing to help her cope with her grief of losing her husband, Frank Fletcher.
As the series progresses, Jessica becomes more successful and a prolific mystery writer, with her books being adapted for film, the stage and even a video game. She travels all over the world for various talks, events and visits to her many, and sometimes equally successful and high-profile friends and family. With her incredible attention to detail, she becomes well known among law enforcement as a “meddler”, or a great help in solving all the murders that just happen to occur around her. 🤔💭
Later in the series, Jessica goes back to teaching, but this time as a university lecturer in writing and criminology.
Each episode in the series follows a similar structure:
- The murder of a usually disliked character occurs and Jessica is always somehow involved and on the odd occasion, even implicated.
- The bumbling and inept law enforcement arrest the wrong, but most obvious character. This person is sometimes a friend or relative of Jessica’s or an underdog she’s recently befriended.
- Jessica then goes onto successfully solve the case after her memory is triggered by a seemingly ordinary occurrence that helps her connect the missing link. All is then revealed through a confession from the murderer, or an explanation from Jessica – cue smiles and/or laughter, roll credits!
So, in case you haven’t noticed, I’m a huge Murder She Wrote (MSW) fan. Surprise!
I’m not sure why I didn’t notice this series sooner as it always seemed to be on, somewhere on some channel. But during the last trimester of my pregnancy, bored, fed and just tired of being tired and pregnant, I was enthralled by Jessica. I loved her sense of freedom, her style, her humility and unassuming manner and most of all her polished witticism and comebacks. Heck, I wanted to be Jessica! When I was older of course, and minus her widowhood, and also minus the fact that she couldn’t have children, the hair – although it suits her, and of course all the murders that just happen occur around her! 🙈
The point is, Jessica’s a well-travelled international bestselling author with wealth and friends in high places. All of which was something I aspired to – despite the fact that I don’t possess a shred of patience it would require to even attempt writing a novel!
ABOUT EVERYTHING MSW
In all, being a MSW fan has been a lonely existence. The first episode aired before God even considered my conception, so not only have I not met many fans of the show, but the very few I’ve come across aren’t even close in age to me. My mother-in-law enjoyed the series, but only really cared about what Jessica was wearing and didn’t pay enough attention to realise that people were always dying when Jessica was around. Had she done so, she would have felt superstitious over it and stopped watching altogether! My husband got fed up with the “crappy quality” of the picture and Jessica’s constant interference, that he gave up after just 3 episodes. 🤦🏾♀️
My teenage daughter calls me “old” and “cringe” and feigns interest in the most sarcastic way possible whenever I talk about the show and my brother tells me not to even tell people I’m into the show. Everyone else “listens” to me out of pity or indifference.
So in my search for fellow MSW fans, I actually came across a surprising number of sites and content (some of which you can find under Jessica’s Web), but nothing really encompassed everything about the show, and it’s easy to see why – 12 seasons, 264 episodes and 4 movies! So, in the final weeks of my pregnancy, I set myself the challenge – watch every episode and every movie and write about it! A mammoth task, I know, but one I hope you’ll follow me on!
Content will be a little sparse to begin with, but just to give you an idea, the site will consist of:
- Episodes – Yes, a summary of all 264 episodes (bear with me)!
- Where in the World – A list of places Jessica has visited and why
- Dress like Jess – her fashion and where you can buy some of her clothing from
- Mrs Fletcher’s Kitchen – The food she cooks and eats, along with the recipes. I’ll try and make these as well and post pictures!
- Guest stars – All the guest stars that have appeared on the show
- Characters – This will focus mainly on the reoccurring ones
- Cabot Cove – My attempt at mapping out this fictional New England town
- Jessica’s Web – Funny and interesting MSW content from around the web
- Funny Quotes – Some of the dialogue is just hilarious (well, it is to me!)
- Fun Facts – There a lot of interesting facts about the show and I’ll try and get as many as possible
In the meantime, subscribe and keep updated with the latest content, and comment and share!